The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2014, 11:40:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Good news, everyone! The old domain name works again!

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why doesn't a zombie eat another zombie?  (Read 1185 times)
Delireus
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2012, 08:43:32 pm »

I've always believed that they bite and eat to spread the virus in them, like others have stated. The virus wants to spread, so it creates a need in the zombies to eat, but since they are slow (usually, fast zombies are just silly to me) that gives the victims a better chance to get away after they have been bit, but of course they will eventually turn, and attempt to transfer the virus all over again. Zombies do not eat themselves because they are dead, and the virus does not want to spread to dead things, so dead things are unappetizing (go figure).

I think there are 2 types of zombies however, and in order to argue their behavior, you must define what sort they are first. The first type is a truly dead thing, that has died, and then comes back to be a zombie. Perhaps the brain is reanimated in some way, like in The Walking Dead, where just the primal brain stem is reactivated by the virus, and they go around, stumbling, decomposing, and eating humans.

The second type is a human who's been infected with the virus that takes over the brain, not killing the human, but turning them into a zombie (in a sense, can you be a zombie if you have not died?) who wants to eat people, possibly because the virus wants to spread. This is sort of like the movie I Am Legend, where the humans have been infected, changed in some way, but have never died. Their bodily functions work, everything works, they are not deteriorating, they are living, but they crave flesh, brains, humans, what-have you, and can't be rationalized with in any way. However, then that would mean that if you cut their leg off, they would eventually die of blood loss, and then the iconic "destroy the brain" would go out the window, and that would be no fun.

That's just my opinion however. Much like steampunk, zombies in movies and books are not based on any one real thing, and therefor are subject to all sorts of crazy rules and ideas, so they are always fluid and changing, which I think is great (keeps one on their toes). 

Home is where the faire is
Kryss LaBryn
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2012, 12:36:23 am »

What I'd like to know is why animals don't go after zombies? You'd expect that legions of crows and ravens, if not every other predator in the area (including dogs) would be all over them in an instant. The birds at least ought to render any zombies down to bare bones in a few hours, going by recent studies with buzzards and human corpses.

So we should be breeding large populations of carrion-eaters now, as a defence against future zombie risings?? A study is needed to determine optimum size of carrion-eater pack for a given quantity of zombies to guarantee success, given the likely high attrition rate.  

And what if you were up against one of the zombie strains that could affect non-human animals. Wouldn't unleash the hyenas and vultures on those, if I were you.

Ooooohhh that could Go Bad. In more ways than one.

Breed the packs of carrrion eaters, but fit collars with explosive charges to them before release so that if they are infected we can remotely detonate them and save ourselvess from the horror of zombie vultures =P and take out a few zombies. Although I'm sure the RSPCA would not approve and I hate condoning animal cruelty.

Also if zombies can detect body temp as well as smell and movement, then an insulated suit covered in rotting meat (or better still with canisters of rotten smell chemicals- so that if it rains you can release more stench) is the answer surely? I bet someone in the SP community could produce this.

The deeply entertaining webcomic Dr. McNinja coped with a zombie outbreak by equipping the townsfolk with surplus armoured space suits from NASA.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It makes sense in context. Wink

So perhaps all we need is some kind of armour? Something like a shark suit. It'd probably have to protect against bodily fluids as well, just in case. And ideally either filter the air down to a virus level or have its own self-contained breathing system.

--Wait, armoured space suits are brilliant! NASA has those, right?

He's a zombie ninja, in case you're wondering what he's wearing. Again, it makes sense in context. Grin
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 12:38:00 am by Kryss LaBryn » Logged

"Be clean and courteous; raise your hat, And wipe your boots upon the mat: Such proofs of gentlemanly feeling Are to the ladies most appealing." The Professor's Manuscript - Dorothy L. Sayers
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2012, 12:30:46 pm »

I was actually thinking of Spacesuits. That comic looks great.

New Etsy Shop!
Flightless Phoenix Designs for hand-made gothic and eccentric jewellery.
http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FlightlessPhoenix

Forum members can get 10% off by using discount code: BRASSGOGGLES1
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2012, 10:03:24 pm »

Anti zombie space suits. I never thought this would crop up!  Smiley

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
GabrielCrimson
Snr. Officer