The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2014, 08:51:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Good news, everyone! The old domain name works again!

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to paint rubber?  (Read 26239 times)
draxthedestroyer
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« on: August 19, 2010, 06:22:22 pm »

i have a few rubber pieces that i want to paint. i have tried a few techniques almost all have failed. i have tried spray paint, plastic bonding spray paint, brush paint and rub and buff. all failed. i was wondering if there is any semi cheap ways to go about painting the pieces i have.
Narsil
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 06:28:25 pm »

I believe that rubber cement or liquid latex thinned with a suitable solvent with pigment added is the usual thing for painting rubber.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Dave the Troll
Zeppelin Captain

Corporal Grease - Her Majesty's Own Mars Engineers

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 06:42:20 pm »

A technique used when painting latex weaponry (i.e. painting latex onto Platezote) is to paint a thin coat of Evostick on before you paint.  Then paint with latex with added acrylic paint for pigment.
The Dark Power
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 06:47:26 pm »

For painting silicon rubber you have a to use more silicon since that's the only thing that will stick to it.  I use a combination of silicon bathroom sealant, oil paints and white spirit to do that.

You may find that the bathroom sealant will adhere to whatever type of rubber you're using so that might be worth a go. 

twilightbanana
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 06:17:25 am »

Another technique used for latex weaponry is drybrushing with acrylic paints, or in some cases just painting straight on. Acrylics stay somewhat flexible after drying.

What is the item in question, and how is it going to be used? A solid block of rubber would be a lot easier than rubber hose that still needs to bend and kink, for instance. Different types of rubber behave differently (natural, synthetic, sillicone, PVC with lots of softeners?). Also, the colour you want to achieve will affect which technique can be used effectively (metallic colours can be challenging).
draxthedestroyer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 02:47:38 pm »

I am trying to paint two rubber items. One is a painting mask. And the other is a pair of rubber lab goggles.
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 03:52:20 pm »

Are you certain that they're rubber and not vinyl?

In the case of vinyl, then vinyl dye (most automotive stores carry it) would work perfectly. It may work on actual rubber, but I'm not sure.

'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'
akumabito
Goggleologist
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 03:59:38 pm »

I'd love to paint an old gasmask, but I'm pretty sure everything you put on there will just crack and chip off. Sad

Mr. Boltneck
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 06:21:24 pm »

That's a tough one. Most elastomers are a bastard to paint, simply because the paint film fails to flex and stretch with the substrate. Then there is the more general problem that the molecular bonds in many plastics tend to preclude the formation of bonds with anything else, like paint, after curing has set in, complicated by any surface treatments which may have been done either for molding release or for protection from the environment. Lab and safety equipment can be problematic in this way, as it tends to be made as non-reactive as possible.
I have had some luck painting vinyl by using (this will not astonish, I know) vinyl paint. Back in the 1980's, I airbrushed some inflatable 6'-tall Godzillas with the stuff, and it held up rather well. Clean the surface first to remove mold-release residue and any skin oils.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: