The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 29, 2014, 03:16:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Good news, everyone! The old domain name works again!

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Look: Steampunk Gadgets Go Wild in Warehouse 13  (Read 19569 times)
Capt_Zaphod
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Gravatar

Chrono Corps Agent:42

Captain_Zaphod
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2009, 05:26:53 pm »

Well, I LOVE Warehouse 13, not least because of the opportunities for star steampunk makers to get mainstream showcasing. Also, I am a sucker for sheer entertainment with modest intellectual content and no aspirations to highbrow-ness.

My only criticism is that we dont get enough lingering shots on the amazing props.

Has anyone posted anything on how to make the video tins?

Here are some closeups:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I recommend this thread, at the Replica Prop Forum

greensteam
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2009, 05:35:27 pm »

At first glance this looks like a larger than usual Altoids tin. Certainly the fascia looks well within my capabilities, but the trick of course is to have it functional, preferably with the guts of a functioning mobie behind it.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Eli Hogswhistle
Gunner

« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2009, 06:17:34 pm »

I can understand it being labelled Lewis Carroll so that the literary link would be unmistakeable, but should it not also have been labeled Reverend Dodgson? or am I being unnecessarily pedantic?

It did.

Grin
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Admiral

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2009, 09:56:42 pm »

Thank you Mr.Hogswhistle. I barely had time to read the label so it's encouraging to see that the artifact is safely cross-referenced like that.

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
Wells45
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2009, 11:10:19 pm »

I loved the Lewis Carrol mirror bit. Very witty. Some people wouldn't get the joke.

“We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.”  ~Carl Sagan
Capt_Zaphod
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

Chrono Corps Agent:42

Captain_Zaphod
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2009, 03:26:43 pm »

I loved the Lewis Carrol mirror bit. Very witty. Some people wouldn't get the joke.
Well considering how few kids actually read books these days ... you're right.
Anher
Gunner

« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2009, 09:46:51 pm »

Thank you Mr.Hogswhistle. I barely had time to read the label so it's encouraging to see that the artifact is safely cross-referenced like that.

Seconded. I only caught it the second time I was watching that episode and then only had time to see the larger text clearly.
heavyporker
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2009, 03:16:19 am »

I missed the pilot of Warehouse 13 and Eureka because of closed-captioning problems, but this week seems to have seen to that problem, and I enjoyed the second and third episodes of Warehouse 13 - I quite like how they can toss out so much humor, and yes, I do so love the references. Delightful!

I wouldn't get so fixated on the props -  let's be grateful that we EVEN have the show in the first place, and just gently encourage these guys to improve on the props in the future. I definitely will be watching more of Warehouse 13!

I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day
rovingjack
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2009, 06:39:07 am »

arties system was designed by edison, tesla, and MC Escher  Shocked
that dude is sooo doomed.

Igotta say The characters are great, and the writting is very good.

Dasai
Officer

Fancy a spot of space tea?

« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2009, 10:45:51 am »

Bah! Edison and Tesla would have never worked with each-other.

I dig that the show doesn't go right for the mysticism, but tries to keep it on a scientific level, even if it's all pseudo-science.
Engineer_Alex
Deck Hand

« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2009, 03:00:33 pm »

Edison and tesla? So is Artie DC or AC powered?

If God's watching, we can at the very least be entertaining.

Its never too early to start padding your obituary.
Captain Brandsson
Rogue Ætherlord

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2009, 04:29:32 pm »

Edison and tesla? So is Artie DC or AC powered?
Or something... Else

- Maximilian
rovingjack
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2009, 04:34:30 pm »

Bah! Edison and Tesla would have never worked with each-other.

I dig that the show doesn't go right for the mysticism, but tries to keep it on a scientific level, even if it's all pseudo-science.

markf
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2009, 10:16:27 pm »

Well, I LOVE Warehouse 13, not least because of the opportunities for star steampunk makers to get mainstream showcasing. Also, I am a sucker for sheer entertainment with modest intellectual content and no aspirations to highbrow-ness.

My only criticism is that we dont get enough lingering shots on the amazing props.

Has anyone posted anything on how to make the video tins?

Here are some closeups:

I recommend this thread, at the Replica Prop Forum

I’m going to try making an iPhone case mod based on the W13 communicator tin.  Have gotten most of the functional bits in place to start next month.  markf

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Dasai
Officer

Fancy a spot of space tea?

« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2009, 10:29:34 pm »

And I do understand the purpose of the Warehouse, though I appreciate your explanation.
Darth Saber
Snr. Officer

« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2009, 04:27:56 pm »

I've decided to take on the Farnsworth Communicator project.
I actually haven't seen the show yet, but that communicator certainly looks interesting.

Ive already ordered the tin box, radio dial, and the red indicator light. Im going to wait until they arrive (so I have a better idea of the scaling) before I order the rest of the parts.
If my photoshop scaling is correct, the parts should match up in scale.

Ill keep you guys posted.

DS
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 04:37:38 pm by Darth Saber » Logged
Darth Saber
Snr. Officer

« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2009, 04:39:14 pm »

Oh, I also have a question for Datamancer -

I know you created the keyboard for the show (Great job btw) , but I was wondering if you also created the steampunk housing for the Wacom graphics tablet as well?

DS

Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Admiral

Gomi no sensei

« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2009, 05:36:59 am »

Thanks! Nope, just the keyboard. I was originally going to build them a monitor but they decided to have it done locally, maybe because of shipping dangers, rates, possible customs delays, etc.

I have no idea who built the rest of the props or if it was all the same person.

-~D~-

Oh, I also have a question for Datamancer -

I know you created the keyboard for the show (Great job btw) , but I was wondering if you also created the steampunk housing for the Wacom graphics tablet as well?

DS

“I'm not a paranoid deranged millionaire. Goddamit, I'm a billionaire.” - Howard Hughes
Redmund Playfoot
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2009, 07:40:48 am »

found something cool on their forums the other day,
If it is something they threw in there on purpose that's freakin' great tv!
Siliconous Skumins
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2009, 04:42:09 pm »

With regards to the Farnsworth communicator, I'm very tempted to build a real working model - I have a few special parts for the job.  The main part being an actual two inch black & white, flat, side scanning CRT (and associated control gear) from an early 80's Sony Watchman FD-210.  Wink  This would fit in a tin case like the one used in the show, and be a working device - but it would be a little smaller than the screen used in the communicator (though there are possible ways around that...).

However the CRT may be used for another project based on a similar idea, but of a less portable nature....   OR it may end up in another unrelated project I'm currently working on (which it would also look awesome in...) - so I haven't really decided yet. Too many options!  Undecided

So far I'm enjoying the show, and can't wait to see the next episode!  It's certainly giving me creative ideas though!  Grin

SS

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Darth Saber
Snr. Officer

« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2009, 05:52:23 pm »

Thanks for the response Datamancer.

For thos interested, here are some places where you can find the parts needed for the Farnsworh Communicator -

Tin case (Model #9601)- http://www.highpeaksmercantile.com/catalog.asp?prodid=520330&showprevnext=1
Red indicator lens (Model #2811) - http://www.weisd.com/store2/NTECML2811.php
Black radio knob on the left - http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PPP&Product_Code=10001&Category_Code=KNB

DS
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 05:56:31 pm by Darth Saber » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2009, 07:09:26 pm »

Actually, thinking about the Farnsworth communicator, another thought popped into my head - "I wonder why have they not mentioned the Farnsworth Fusor yet!?"  Smiley

Think about it, of any device that would end up in warehouse 13, a working 'Farnsworth Fusor' fusion reactor that is small enough to sit on your desk, is most definitely near the top of the list.  And the 'Fusor' is a real device to boot! (it works, but currently require more power than it produces - same as the other fusion reactors really...)

A fusor running in so called "star mode":

Fair enough, it's not steampunk per se, and it was invented in the 50's, but still...   Wink

SS
Talyn
Snr. Officer
Gravatar

« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2009, 09:11:15 pm »

Thanks for the response Datamancer.

For thos interested, here are some places where you can find the parts needed for the Farnsworh Communicator -

Tin case (Model #9601)- http://www.highpeaksmercantile.com/catalog.asp?prodid=520330&showprevnext=1
Red indicator lens (Model #2811) - http://www.weisd.com/store2/NTECML2811.php
Black radio knob on the left - http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PPP&Product_Code=10001&Category_Code=KNB

DS

Fancy seeing you here, lol.
spcglider
Zeppelin Captain

Fifty characters isn't enough to write my message!

« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2009, 04:20:22 pm »

Not having seen the show, (and being a professional prop and model builder for the last 20 years www.mnfx.com ) I can only hope that the pieces pictured in the article are either unfinished or are NOT the hero props.

First off, there's no age on them. Especially the Tesla Gun.  It looks like it just leapt off the builder's bench. Every one of these things needs a layer of grime or at least a good once-over with Fuller's Earth to fill in the cracks with "the accumulated dust of decades".  This stuff all looks too new.  And aged copper WITHOUT verdigris? Shame!!

Please be aware that when you're working on a regular (low budget) series that timing can get dicey and you make decisions based on money and time instead of aesthetics.  Which is what I think we're seeing here. And I'm also aware that images of things that are unfinished tend to get out and get critiqued before they've gotten the final touch. And I'm pretty certain that the Tesla Gun shot was taken with a bad digital camera with a flash... and that's exactly how you want to shoot a prop if you want every sandpaper scratch and wonki-ness and blemish to scream "LOOK AT ME!!!".  So I'll hold off on any deep critique until I know a little more.

-Gordon

Professor Gordon Elias Weatherbee, Tinker and Time Travel Machine Repair. All models serviced.
Siliconous Skumins
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2009, 05:52:27 pm »

First off, there's no age on them. Especially the Tesla Gun.  It looks like it just leapt off the builder's bench. Every one of these things needs a layer of grime or at least a good once-over with Fuller's Earth to fill in the cracks with "the accumulated dust of decades".  This stuff all looks too new.  And aged copper WITHOUT verdigris? Shame!!

<snip>

But then again, it's all too easy to make things look TOO old and worn, especially for a prop that is supposed to be in somewhat daily use... Wink  Aged copper - well unprotected copper 'ages' very quickly, more so with constant handling (acids / grime from the skin). However it would not form much in the way of visible verdigris patina because the constant handling (and the dry, abrasive qualities of the average coat pocket) would quickly abrade this away before it has a chance to form a thick enough layer. Even if it were to form, if a real device that is in regular use started to look that bad, most people would probably give it a bit of a clean and service before something breaks down. I would say most people would keep a weapon in tip-top condition  (one chap I know in the USA, takes great pride in his firearms and strips, cleans and oils them on an almost weekly basis...).

I have genuine devices of varying descriptions from most decades of the last century, and MOST of the ones that are still in regular use show no signs of built up gunge or bad corrosion - some people do like to keep things clean you know. Wink  My old 1930's radio has normal wear for something of that age, and even a little minor surface rust on some of the internal chassis, but at the same time it's kept clean and dust / grime free due to regular cleaning inside and out (thick burnt-on fluff and dirt covered valves not only looks bad, but is a fire risk - and smells bad too!). So I don't find the Warehouse 13 props to be too bad considering... Smiley

As you say though, a low budget show doesn't need to be overly accurate with the aesthetics of the props - anything made for TV can be quite rough looking in the flesh, but look great on the small screen (partly due to the usually low resolution of the TV, and generally only being seen on screen quickly during the shot). Just look at some of the props used on somewhat higher budget shows such as  Star Trek - the ship diagram seen in the engineering section of STNG actually shows the true source of the Enterprise's power as being a hamster on a wheel.....and the ships pet duck!  Cheesy   The display is only seen very briefly in shots, usually out of focus and the low res TV format (NTSC) used, makes these details almost impossible to see on screen.  They use different displays and props in the movie versions though.

SS
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: